Why Step 11 Matters
Updated: Jul 25, 2019
Step 11 states that we “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.”
Of all the steps we practice in Alcoholics Anonymous, this is one of the most important, in particular in terms of long term sobriety. Why?
· Prayer and meditation offer us an opportunity to center our minds and focus our thoughts, emotions and desires.
· Prayer and meditation allows us an opportunity to turn our will over to a Higher Power instead of relying on our own egos (which is usually what got us in trouble in the first place).
· Prayer and meditation help us to connect with the spiritual realm of life.
· Prayer and meditation feed our innate need for communion with the infinite.
· Prayer and meditation help to clear our minds and open our hearts.
· Prayer and meditation provide moments of peace and tranquility.
· Prayer and meditation allow us a chance to explore our own minds.
· Prayer and meditation can reduce fear and even physical pain.
· Prayer and meditation can infuse us with energy and joy.
· Prayer and meditation can help us achieve things we never thought possible.
What’s most important is finding a way to incorporate prayer and meditation into your daily life. Whether you create a morning routine or constantly change your routine based on your mood that day, it doesn’t really matter for now. Just figure out a way to incorporate prayer and meditation into your daily life and you’ll feel the difference it brings to your life and peace of mind.
Join our Facebook Group